You Say 'Methodology', I Say 'Method'

Folks, don't say 'methodology' when you mean 'method.' You had a method with which you conducted your recent study, not a methodology. 'Methodology' is what you do when you, say, study different ways of doing such a study and compare them.

This may seem like nitpicking, but it is important because it is an exemplar of a general class of problems: the idea that using fancier language somehow makes our results 'deeper' or more 'scientific.' Such a notion is, of course, destructive of real insight, since the blizzard of high-falutin' words serves to obscure rather than to reveal the reality one seeks to explore.

Try goggling 'methodology' and scanning the results: in almost every case on the first couple of pages, either the word 'method' or the word 'methods' could have replaced the word 'methodology' with an increase in clarity.

Comments

  1. This may seem like nitpicking, but it is important because it is an exemplar of a general class of problems: the idea that using fancier language somehow makes our results 'deeper' or more 'scientific.'

    I think it would have been clearer if you had used "example" instead of "exemplar," Mr. Fancy Pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I meant 'exemplar', not 'example'!

    By the way, did you did algebraic toppology in your game theory course at NYU?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this Bob Murphy's point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't what Bob Murphy's point, Ian?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to remember that Bob made that very same point (against confusing the words "method" and "methodology") in like 5 or more of his lectures with the Mises Institute.

    I came to associate that point so strongly with Bob that it struck me in a really bizarre way when I read this blog post. For a second, I thought that you were Bob or something. Or that I was going insane.

    Also the fact that Bob didn't even bring that up in his response added to the surreal experience that I was going through.

    So admit it. You stole this point from Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Ian, given that Fritz Machkup wrote an entire essay on this 70 years ago, and both Bob and I are "descended" from Machlup through some of our teachers whom Machlup taught, and I don't think it's puzzling that we both make this point!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness